Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Nominations now closed

Two weeks ago we learned that New Baby is a healthy little girl. Since there are so many good girl names, James and I asked some family and friends for suggestions. Thanks to all who contributed; now we're narrowing down the list from a total of 70 (!) or so ideas.

As we narrow down the list, we are considering (1) sound -- is the name pretty, and does it go well with our last name; (2) association -- is it a family name or the name of someone we admire; (3) Christian meaning; and (4) popularity -- does it avoid the extremes of strange and common. (Could there BE any more Madisons?) What is the relative importance of these? And am I missing some other criteria? How do you pick a good name? Leave a comment, please.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

hmm.. I'm tempted to say Sarah .. although I believe the origin is a Jewish princess!

I guess the other thing I would personally look for is that all your kiddo's have unique initials, so I'd probably stay away from girl names starting with D or B..but that is just my preference!

70 plus names, holy moly .. that will take a little weeding out!